There's a question at the bottom, so decide now if you'd like to skip the brief timeline:
- Neighborhood birthday party where one daddy is clearly in the throws of tuberculosis or other flesh eating disease, his four year old daughter clearly has "the sick eyes."
- His wife comes home late from work (Nurse practioner at a prison in central Mass). She was delayed due to admitting a patient with MRSA to the infirmary.
- We go on to discuss her family's three-week-long ailment/cold/undefined fever-thing at length.
- Thanks for comin'!
- HRH comes home from school with a note stating that one of his classmates has tested postive for strep and everyone has been exposed.
- HRH enters our bedroom with a 102 temp, complaining of sore throat.
- RC has a low grade temp and is coughing like a seal.
- Both semi-stuffy.
- Loooooooonnnnngggggg Daaaaaaayyyyyyy
- Was it really only yesterday?
- Visit to the pediatrician.
- Instant strep tests come back negative. Also negative for flu.
- But blood tests administered. Remember that scene in Gone with the Wind, where the doctor decides to amputate despite no anesthesia? HRH was channeling that during the finger prick episode.
- I apologize every mother waiting behind us with their kids now terrorized.
- Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl recommended.
Tuesday Overnight/Wednesday early AM:
- Looooonnnnggggerrrrrr Niiiiiiigggghhhhhhhttt.
- RC up every two hours and coughing/crying in his sleep constantly.
- Also pees through every single layer of his nightclothes and bedclothes. Newly dried and changed RC ends up in bed with us.
- HRH comes in around 4:00 am with a zillion degree temperature, complaining that his head hurts.
- I leave to get juice and more meds but immediately reenter when his coughing fit leads to vomiting.
- On the bed.
- On my side.
Wednesday, 4:30 am:
- Andy and I have everyone back in their own beds and we are lying there on fresh sheets, punchy-tired but too keyed up to sleep.
- Andy seriously contemplates just getting dressed and going to work.
So. Here we are. It's Wednesday at 9:30 and I am totally going Against Medical Advice and seeking your input on the latest drug of choice for coughing.
Help me out here and let me know if you give your kids cough medicine and what you've used.