Friday, December 26, 2008

God Bless Us. Every One.

I wanted to give each of you a little something as a thank you for everything you've given me this year. Well, it didn't arrive in time for Christmas. We're all moms here, so I know you'll understand.

For my friends, the someday moms: May your eggs be viable and your uterus be hospitable. Or may you find another way.

For my friends, the gestating moms: May the first and last trimesters go by with ease. May you take the sleep when you can get it. May you savor the miracle.

For my friends, the laboring moms: May your OB be on duty when you go into labor and free with the drugs. May your baby's head be small. May your partner know his place is to shut up and shovel ice chips.

For my friends, the brand new moms: May your baby latch on like a champ and sleep in long stretches. May you shower most days. May your husband have a great paternity leave policy.

For my friends, the mothers of newborns: May your child find a schedule. May he take a bottle, when necessary. May you be there for her first smile.

For my friends, the mothers of infants: May your child sleep through the night. May she be allergy-free. May he be an "easy baby".

For my friends, the mothers of toddlers: May your child not figure out how to open the child proof locks. May she not share food with the dog, then put it back in her mouth. May he not hit the terrible twos before his first birthday.

For my friends, the mothers of preschoolers: May potty training last days, not months. May she not suffer from separation anxiety on the first day of preschool. May he always like you better than his teacher.

For my friends, the mothers of kindergarteners: May your child adjust beautifully to big kid school. May the teacher recogize the uniqueness and individual gifts of your child.

For my friends, the mothers of elementary schoolers: May your child neither bully nor be bullied. May she love learning in all its forms.

For my friends, the mothers of tweens: May your child find his own moral compass. May friends, music, and movies not steal the precious years of childhood innocence.

For my friends, the mothers of high schoolers: May your children's deeds make you proud. May you be their mother first and their friend, second.

For my friends, the mothers of college students: May your children remember your lessons as they take their first fledgling steps to independence. May they make good decisions and know their own minds.

For my friends, the mothers of adults: May your children grow to be intelligent, loving, kind, good, hardworking, humorous parents. And may they take good care of us as we grow old.

For all of us: Though the days are long, the years are short. May we treasure the good ones and run down the clock on the bad ones with humor and love and friendship.

It was either this or a fruitcake.

12 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

This is beautiful--and a welcome gift. Thanks.

~Swankymama said...

Is it bad that I fit into 3 of these categories? LOL

Thank you!!! :o)

Rae Ann said...

Love, love, love this post. I posted it over at my blog with a couple of links back to you. I just had to share it/you with my blog friends. If it is not cool with you, drop me a note and I will take it down. Thanks for the inspiration!

Stimey said...

This is beautiful. Way better than a fruitcake.

anymommy said...

Thank you. Lovely and happy and sad.

Anonymous said...

Stimey sent me here. And she was right. Great post. A lovely gift. And way better than fruitcake. Happy New Year!

Madeleine said...

Amen to what Stimey said. So much better than a fruitcake!

Anonymous said...

I always knew you were the sappy one. ; )

{sue} said...

Definitely better than a fruitcake. And I'm in 3 of these categories too. Yikes.

Sarahviz said...

I love it!

JCK said...

Thank you for your lovely gift, my friend. And I am happy to be that. Your friend.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I don't particularly care for fruitcake, so this was a nice treat.

Great post.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs