Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Three

"Are you my baby?"
"No, Mommy. I'm not a baby, I'm a big boy"
"Oh, that's right. Are you my sweetie?"
"Yes, Mommy. I'm your sweetie-pie."

RC is the "yes" to every second-time mother's question. Yes, it is absolutely possible to love another child as much as you love the first. In fact, I think it may be impossible not to.

I once read that even when their children are in their forties, mothers still remember their due dates. RC's was May 7th. RC turned three on April 25th.

At 23 months, RC got the memo; it was time to be two. And RC has done so tenaciously, adamantly, with vengeance and purpose. I spend a lot of time calling my son names. A few that come to mind are maniac, relentless, and exhausting. Here are some others:

Enthusiastic
Funny
Good-Natured
Resilient
Single-Minded
Goofy
Natural
Handsome
Unaffected
Original
Clever
Physical
Lovable
Loving
Guileless
Kind
Smart
Beautiful
Unfolding
Open

To quote my friend JCK, I love him with a fierceness that is primal. Even after the most trying day, I still want to hold him. I revel in being his mommy, even at 3:00 am. I am supremely confident that there is not another person on the planet that will ever love him more than I do. And I know that without a doubt, there is nothing that could ever change how I feel about him.

I am so proud of him; of his three-year-old wit, humor, and intelligence. I admire his drive, his tenacity, albeit sometimes reluctantly. I know that Andy and I have been charged with with feeding his mind and his soul so that he can be someone he, himself can be proud of. He is the best part of each of us. We do not take this responsibility lightly, yet we relish it.

Happy Birthday, my wonderful three-year-old big boy. You make our life richer.

Mommy loves you. Up to the sky.

11 comments:

Texasholly said...

This is just the sweetest. Is it possible to love more...nope. It is just heaven.

JCK said...

Oh, MM, this was lovely. And R.C. has the very best mommy of all. Up, up to the sky.

Phantom Reviewer said...

Happy Birthday RC!!

Cyn said...

I have a friend whose mom still sends her a card on her due date.

My youngest (Max) turned three in March. I know just how you feel.

I call all my boys "Baby", it's just a term of indearment. Max has been referred to as Babymax his whole life. Now when I call him Baby he says "I not baby, I big boy." No way, dude, not until you use the potty.

Beautiful post.

~Swankymama said...

Oh what a sweet post! Happy birthday RC!!

My CRT group fitness instructor came in this morning and announced she was in labor. It was her daughters 13th birthday, and every day on her birthday she relives the labor story and acts it out!!

cactus petunia said...

That fierce mommy-love hasn't gone away for me yet...and mine are 27 and 24 (Years, not months!)
Happy birthday, RC!

Jennifer S said...

Happy birthday RC!

This was lovely.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Happy Birthday. There's nothing like having a momma that loves you like nothin' else!

Sarahviz said...

What a touching tribute!

Jen said...

Awww, sweet. Happy Birthday!

Cookin' Mama said...

VERY sweet.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs