Sunday, April 25, 2010

This Day In History

1719 - Robinson Crusoe is published

1859 - Ground broken for Suez Canal

1945 - Allies and Russians link up, cutting Germany in two

1990 - Space Shuttle Discovery places Hubble Telescope in orbit

2005 - Gremlin Manic is born

Clear as day, I can see Daddy doing that rhythmic, baby bounce-and-walk, holding you close in the labor and delivery room, speaking softly to you.  That was the first moment I saw you. And I loved you, instantly.  Thanks to an emergency c-section and Dad needing to care for your big brother, you and I had more alone time those first few days than HRH and I did.  I sat on the narrow hospital bed with you on my lap and we checked each other out. 

Between visits from Gram and Nana, from aunties, uncles, and cousins, I played with your fingers and toes. I smiled at you and talked to you for hours on end. I noted the difference in your 6 pound 14 ounce frame to your preemie "big" brother's 5 pounds, 9 ounces. I became frustrated by your lack of nursing cooperation and I noticed how LOUDLY you did everything. From breathing, to snoring, to diapers, you made your presence known.  Daddy and I introduced you to your big brother and our family was complete.

Every night, for the past five years, we've said our God blesses.  Every night, we end our God blesses with "and God bless everyone else we love.  And I...love...you..."

Happy Birthday, my perfect, funny, smart, sensitive, clever, not-so-little Gremlin, I love you.  More every day.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"But Mom, how can I possibly love a 2nd child as much as I love HRH?"
"It's easy" I said, "Look at us!!"
Love you MM!

Cathy said...

Awwww this made my heart smile :)

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Happy Birthday to both of you!

anymommy said...

Hope it was a wonderful birthday. Full of laughter and love and cake. It's amazing how much your heart expands, you think you'll never love another like the first and then you do.

Ash said...

Amazing how those birthdays become a million times more important than your own - hope it was a great day for you both!

Liz Mays said...

Wonderful!!! Happy Birthday!

Wisconsin Parent said...

This is such a nice post. So creative. I'm also popping over to see if you'll be at Blog Her NYC this year. (Hope to see you at another Birds of a Feather lunch.) I changed blogs...stop over and see the new "house" if you like. :-)

Sue N. said...

Happy birthday, Gremlin!!!

Otter Thomas said...

Very sweet post. Happy Birthday Gremlin.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs