Monday, April 12, 2010

File it under "For Future Reference"


For future reference:

- Poison Control cannot answer questions related to a 20-pound dog swallowing one Advil Liqui-Gel.

- Poison Control does provide the toll-free number to Animal Poison Control.

- That number is 1-888-426-4435.

- The consultation fee to speak with Animal Poison Control is $65.00 payable by credit card.

- If your 20-pound dog swallows one Advil Liqui-Gel, she may experience vomiting and diarrhea but probably won't die.

- The treatment for 20-pound dogs who swallow Advil is 0.5 mg Pepcid AC (Famotidine) once a day for 5-7 days.

- If your 20-pound dog who swallowed an Advil is micro-chipped through Home Again and you have full coverage, the $65.00 consultation fee is covered.

- Dogs who swallow Advil and run the risk of experiencing vomiting and diarrhea will be sleeping in the kitchen overnight.

    16 comments:

    Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

    Good to know. Possibly life and definitely money-saving.

    rachel... said...

    I think I'll save myself $65 (and a headache) and just not get a dog. Couldn't you call a 24-hour vet service and ask them for free? Or would they make you come in? I guess it was covered for you anyway, but charging that is unbelievable to me!

    Life As I Know It said...

    Thanks for the tips...we are picking up our new puppy in a week and a half. I'm beginning to think I am crazy for adding a dog to the family.

    anya said...

    Oh no! Poor puppy and poor Mommy! The things we do for our beloved pets....

    Mama Goose said...

    Poor Pup!! Thanks for the info. Our lovable, but very dumb retriever eats lots of things - mostly plastic.

    Stimey said...

    I had no ideal that there was an Animal Poison Control. But it sucks that it costs SO MUCH. However, I am happy to hear that the 20-pound dog will live. :)

    Kate Coveny Hood said...

    Oh no! Adding this to the list of reasons that I'm not ready to get a puppy.

    texasholly said...

    Lord have mercy on you and your puking dog.

    Pyriksa said...

    Good to know she'll be ok! I should really be stashing that number somewhere...

    this reminds me the differences between a 20 pound dog and a 70 pound dog--one advil does so much less to so much more mass.

    Ash said...

    Thank you for adding another item to my list of why we do not have pets.

    Hope the vomiting and diarrhea are short lived. And on kitchen tile.

    Kristen said...

    Seriously? Don't get me started with bad dog behavior.

    Anonymous said...

    Helluva of a lucky dog! Ibuprofen is really toxic to dogs - I'm a vet and have seen a couple of dogs get really sick with enough of this stuff.

    Wembley

    Jason, as himself said...

    No fun! Once my dog found his way into a whole bag of Hershey's kisses and ate the whole thing, foil and all. I thought for sure he would die.

    But all that happened was he had diarrhea that smelled delicious.

    SoccerMom said...

    All good things to know. Thanks for sharing. I have three little dogs, 2 Chihuahuas and a wiener.

    We are frequent flyers at the er vet.

    Otter Thomas said...

    Nice work sharing your story and saving some other nice people a few bucks. My dogs are too big too worry about. I only start worrying if they swallow a shoe or something.

    microchipping dogs for cost said...

    I don't get this. "Poison Control does provide the toll-free number to Animal Poison Control." Could you please enlighten me on this? I keep following all your posts hope you can regularly post more. I get very useful information here. Thanks for having this.



    microchipping for dogs cost

     

    Blog Designed by: NW Designs