Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Peeps, in the Big Wide World

Day 793 of summer vacation: We are meeting my sister and her three youngest at The Children's Museum in Boston around noon to see the Peep in the Big Wide World Exhibit. She has already fed her kids. I have not. The plan is that I will grab lunch for them at the Au Bon Pain downstairs then meet her in about 15-20 minutes.

I am delighted that the boys can have mac n cheese and chicken nuggets at this particular Au Bon Pain while I can eat a decent salad and iced tea. We join the sea of humanity attempting to order and retrieve food, cafeteria-style. Did I mention it was noon? While balancing our lunch and keeping track of the two boys, we search for a seat. Uh, not happening. Looks like dining al fresco in the 90 degree/90% humidity heat! No tables outside either, but there's a little wall surrounding a tree that I've got my eye on.

Just as we settle down and I arrange our food on the makeshift table, Gremlin begins the pee-pee dance. My response? "No. Tell your peeps to wait." I don't know where the bathrooms are, there are hoards of people everywhere, there is no strategically placed copse of trees, and we have not yet begun to eat. Also, we just left the house a half hour ago where I assure you, I asked him repeatedly if he had to go before we left. At least I think I did. I mean, I always do...

You can know what happens next. Gremlin has an accident. Pees all over his pants, all over his shirt (wtf?), down his legs and into his socks and sneakers. Luckily, he is unfazed. I apologize for not believing the urgency of the situation, shovel down a little more of my salad, and contemplate our options.

Half an hour later, we're heading for (more) Peep. Gremlin is the proud owner of a $17.00 Children's Musuem t-shirt, we've walked back to the parking garage where (messy car pays off!) I find a bathing suit (HRH's) and a pair of his Keens. Oh, and I scrubbed him up as best I could.


14 comments:

Funnyrunner said...

gosh I love you. I love that you were completely unfazed and finished your salad. You're my kinda friend. I would've done the same thing. "oops. my bad. hang on. lemme finish my salad. sucks for you."

lol.

You're a GOOD MOMMY for taking them to the museum!!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I'll lay odds that he goes before he leaves the house next time.

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

OK, this is the second pee accident story I've heard in the last couple of days, only the other one was in the movie theatre. IN the theatre. As in, in the seat - so I have to think twice about going to the movies now. At least with yours, you guys managed to keep it to yourselves. And the sidewalk. Or the lawn, or whatever.

Also? Remind me never to pee-pee dance in front of YOU.

sitting on the mood swing at the playground said...

I'm going to keep this story in mind when Bug--if Bug--is trained. I love it that you 1) were laid back 2) ate more of your salad 3) had clothes for him in the car and 4) stayed at the musuem.

Also, pretty great that he got a new tee. Not that I'm thinking of pulling a Gremlin when I see a t-shirt that I want...

Momma Hunt said...

I love it!!!!! Although it does make me concerned about what is in store for me down the road when my two year old decided to perhaps use the potty

KC said...

I'm so impressed you could outfit his lower half from the contents of your car. GO YOU.

LZ @ My Messy Paradise said...

Hello, from a fellow Boston Mom!
Ugggh. the pee-pee dance just sets me off...I ask enough when there is a convenient bathroom that there should never be a chance to 'Have to go' so urgently. But, it always happens...luckily, I have a messy car, too. And my husband works next door to the museum!

Mama Goose said...

Why is it that they always have to pee at the most inopportune times? I *should* be skinny for all the times I've had a meal interrupted...

Sounds like a great outing!

MadMad said...

Ha! Do you know, my kids are now 12 and 8 and I STILL carry around baby wipes? You just never know, right?

Kate Coveny Hood said...

How many times have I not believed the urgent demands that a bathroom is needed NOW! And then I feel like the worst mom ever - and really annoyed that I have to deal with the mess.

Mama-Face said...

I'm new here...from funnyrunner...and I don't know how old your little boy is, but my 8 year old has to go to the bathroom the minute we walk into any kind of eating establishment. Drives.Me.Nuts. He has been this way since potty training.

I loved your earlier post on $6500. I had no idea that that is what a boiler cost. sheesh. sorry.

Lifeofkaylen said...

Hilarious.
I think it's important in times of duress (when your child has managed to pee on every piece of clothing he's wearing for instance) to stop and just enjoy your lunch. :)

anymommy said...

Fantastic. It's not just me, it's not just me... Love NGIP comment and your reply!

{sue} said...

There is some sort of Murphy's Law of Mothering that as soon as you have left somewhere with clean and available bathrooms and go to somewhere crowded with no bathrooms in sight, all bladders fill immediately.

I'm glad he was a trooper about it. Every one of my kids would have freaked for DAYS.

And I'm glad you finished your salad! That takes some calm parenting. I would have been too busy cursing to chew.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs