Monday, January 4, 2010

Only Four Days Old and Already 2010 is a Disappointment

Scene: In the car on the way home from first day back to school.

HRH: Jade and Sean got to stay up to see the ball drop.

Manic Mommy: Really? Do you know what that is? I can show it to you on the computer when we get home.

Home and settled, MM clicks over to YouTube searching "Ball Drop, Times Sq, New Year's Eve". Voila!

MM: Hey guys! Come watch the ball drop!

(watching Dick Clark, Ryan Seacrest, et al., hugging)

HRH: So? When does it drop?!

Gremlin: What does it break?!

MM: It doesn't really "drop," it just sort of slides down a pole and lights up.

Gremlin: It doesn't drop on anything?

MM: Um, no. That's just one of the ways we celebrate the new year here in America. You see, we --

Boys depart kitchen, eyes rolling.


Better luck next year, guys.

12 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

A truly dropping ball would be a little more exciting. Even better would be if was made of super-ball stuff and bounced around Times Square.

Ash said...

LOL - now that would be a sight! I'm sure there are a few souls in Times Square that could use a good smack on the head.

Poor little dudes. I can see their frowns from here.

Marla said...

A ball drop designed by your boys would be much more likely to make me want to stay up until midnight.

Anonymous said...

Sounds about right. It is pretty boring to just watch.

natasha the exile on Mom Street said...

I like their version much better!

Let's do it that way next year!

(but only if we make sure the ball knocks out a few of Seacrest's overly-whitened teeth)

Kristen said...

And to think they thought they missed something.

Otter Thomas said...

That's kind of how I feel about the whole thing too, but I play along.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I've always found that New Year moment rather anticlimactic. And this year my husband and I were watching TV when I noticed that it was 12:02. I figure I didn't miss anything.

anymommy said...

Such a let down ;-) They'll probably recover from the disappointment. I gave up on the ball long ago. Definitely anti climatic.

BOSSY said...

Bossy misses 2009 already.

G said...

That's the same reaction Pal had when we took him to Plymoth Rock - "It's just a rock???"

They are truly boys, aren't they?!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I agree. DULL. Maybe it was more exciting when it was originally made, and people didn't see things like "moving lights" all the time?

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs