Thursday, October 15, 2009

Career Day

Each school day, we drop off and pick up HRH by walking across a busy street. Always at the cross-walk, nearly always waved on by Gremlin's new best friend, Mary, the crossing guard. She's very pleasant, always smiling, quite efficient; waving on the kids, giving the "one minute" signal to stopped cars, directing others to take the left turn while other drivers wait somewhat patiently for their turn. Her hand gestures are that of a conductor leading a world class orchestra. Gremlin studies her movements. And has found his true calling.

Each day, he watches Mary The Crossing Guard, mimicking her. I think for him, it's a power thing. Like Moses parting The Red Sea. In his mind, he is able to control the ebb and flow of the traffic, the children, the parents with dogs on leashes, time, space, and who knows what else?

There's just that little issue of his size. Each day, as Gremlin takes his daring, nascent steps into World Domination, I'm there; The Human Buzz Kill. "The cars can't see you! Hold my hand! Wait for me! No running! Wave nicely to that car that stopped."

Or y'know, I stop and take a picture...


9 comments:

Momma Hunt said...

Too cute. What little boy wouldn't want to be a traffic director and be in control of all the cars!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I love it!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

That's adorable. I've often lamented being "the human buzz kill" to my kids. That's why I try to avoid saying "no" whenever possible. Funny enough - there are plenty of non-dangerous opportunities to just let them do things that they *probably* shouldn't...

Stimey said...

Crossing guards scare the crap out of me, what with their whistles and pointing and emphatic gestures. I live in fear every day of getting the angry point and whistle. I'm entirely serious.

Mama-Face said...

Oh my, that is so sweet. He's a pro.

Otter Thomas said...

I love the pic with both hands out. In Scotland this summer I heard a guy refer to a crossing guard as the lollipop man because of his sign. Now this is what I want to call them.

Texasholly said...

Super cute.

KC said...

Oh, what a cutie patootie. I am also Human Buzz Kill. But I scream too.

{sue} said...

My crossing guard was Pat and she was the BOMB. I wanted to be a crossing guard pretty much until I went to college. In fact, it's sorta still on my list of second careers. Gremlin and I could go into business together.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs