Thursday, July 26, 2007

HRH - His Royal Highness

Today, the kids and I visited with two of my friends and their four kids and walked to this fantastic beach. We set up camp beside "the creek" where the water is warm as it rushes back from the salt marshes to the ocean as the tide goes out.

We played for several hours with five other pre-schoolers and saw bigger kids catching shrimp, fish, and crabs in nets and inspected them in their buckets. We built sand castles and climbed on huge boulders and ate mostly junk for lunch. On the way home, we went to Brighams Ice Cream because we had missed the ice cream truck at the beach, where he had vanilla ice cream AND M&Ms.

After that, I had to go to Costco to pick up a few things for our vacation and then to Babies R Us as Roger Clemens was wearing the last diaper in the house. HRH in particular was horrible in the store and as we were leaving, requested a gumball from the machine. I said no, at which point he began to cry. The subsequent conversation went something like this:

Me: If you don't stop crying, you can go in timeout when we get home.
HRH: I'm not crying, I'm whimpering.
Me: Same deal; knock it off.
--- Pause ---
HRH: I hope I never have a bad day again.
Me (incredulously): Which part of today do you think was bad, because I thought today was pretty terrific.
HRH: It was kind of terrific. But not really terrific.
Me (warningly): HRH....
HRH: (Sigh) Okay...it was really terrific.


You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time. But you'll never please my son.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Something you should definitely share with his future bride.

Gotta love that short term memory... It's all about them, 24/7.

Manic Mommy said...

And that's different from adult males how?? :-)

Anonymous said...

This is what I have to look forward to?!

Anonymous said...

Too cute! :)

Oh, and the day was pretty terrific for me as well.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs