Monday, October 4, 2010

Use Only As Required

As Andy and I stood in Room 319 stalking waiting to speak with HRH's teacher, I had an epiphany; we didn't need to.  Curriculum Night had gone swimmingly.  Mrs. C. seemed great! HRH was happy in his new class, happy with the work he was being given, happy with his position as A Second Grader.  He started his second week of school by exclaiming, "We get homework this week!  I can't wait to see what it is!".  HRH is happy.

When last we spoke, I was in the throes of The Question of whether or not to move HRH's class based on word on the Mommy Telegraph that his assigned teacher was "not a good teacher". What I learned was that she quite simply "wasn't there".  As in, too many subs, kids from her class entering the third grade a little behind, projects that other second grade classes completed never gotten to.  Due to the teacher's absence.

After much deliberation and discussion, I spoke with the principal. I gave him our Kindergarten sob story.  I told him of HRH's in-the-box mentality, his need for continuity, how he thrives on routine.  And the principal moved him to another class.

So when our turn came to speak with Mrs. C., we spent a moment discussing his penmanship (which could be better) and his need to "hold that thought" (rather than having to express every thought he is feeling in real time).  It was a two-minute conversation designed to let her know we were interested, involved, and aware.

But we didn't want to take time away from parents who might really need to talk.

8 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That's fantastic that it all worked out.

Jason, as himself said...

Oh, I'm glad that you made the right decision (at least it seems that way!)

And I love the hovering mothercopter.

Ash said...

Good for you for making the change!! Glad he is happy.

School peace of mind is so awesome. Yet, sadly, too rare.

Life As I Know It said...

YAY! There is nothing, NOTHING!, better than a happy kid!!

Mama Goose said...

So happy it's working out well!

Mrs. Tuna said...

Do worry about him holding that thought, wait....what was I saying?

Otter Thomas said...

Glad that everything worked out for the best. If he is happy for homework then you must have struck gold on this deal.

Little Miss Panda said...

Very ccreative post

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs